The nine principles of the Fair Trade movement are as follows:
- Creating opportunities for economically and socially marginalized producers
- Developing transparent and accountable relationships
- Building capacity
- Promoting fair trade
- Paying promptly and fairly
- Supporting safe and empowering working conditions
- Ensuring the rights of children
- Cultivating environmental stewardship
- Respecting cultural identity
The Fair Trade Federation (FTF) is the trade association that strengthens and promotes North American organizations fully committed to fair trade. The Federation is part of the global fair trade movement, building equitable and sustainable trading partnerships and creating opportunities to alleviate poverty.
On the FTF application under each of these overarching goals there is a series of follow up questions to make sure each brand is thinking about all the appropriate angles while working with the producers. Kantara applied to be part of the Fair Trade Federation in 2008 and was accepted in earlier this year.